January 9th, 2013
This is like the week of fast and easy (oh and delicious!!) recipes. Everything has been 30 minutes or less this week. Not because I am pulling a Rachel Ray, but because I live in this crazy little place called REAL LIFE!!! And it turns out my real life is pretty freaking busy right now, and I need good food f-a-s-t.
That’s where dishes like this hearty Vegetarian chili come in. I made a big batch of this in the beginning of the week and I am still eating it for lunch every day. It is so good, and has so many layers of flavor, that you would never know that it was 1) Vegetarian, and 2) ready to go in 30 minutes. In fact, it took quite a while before Pete asked “uh, is there any meat in this?” I could have said yes, and he probably would have believed me- it just tastes that good.
Pretty impressive huh!? I guess that the ease stems from the fact that I used canned beans and pre-cooked lentils (I’m obsessed right now). But I don’t think you are mad at me for cheating, right? Shortcuts like this make it possible for me to get a hot healthy and tasty dinner on the table some nights, and this is just one of those weeks!
What are your favorite go-to FAST and EASY weeknight meals? Please share!!
In a large heavy pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, the onions and the garlic. Cook until tender and soft 5-7 minutes then add the diced tomatoes and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
Add the lentils and the beans and stir to combine. Add the broth and the spices to the beans and let them all simmer together covered over low heat for about 15 minutes. Season with kosher salt and serve hot!
Garnish with cheese and fresh cilantro if desired.
Recipe: Vegetarian Chili
- -1 tbs olive oil
- -1 onion, finely chopped
- -2 cloves garlic, minced
- -2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chili
- -2 cups pre-cooked lentils
- -2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- -2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- -4 cups vegetable broth
- -½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- -1 tablespoon chili powder
- -1 tablespoon cumin
- -kosher salt
- -cheese and fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1. In a large heavy pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, the onions and the garlic. Cook until tender and soft, 5 minutes, then add the diced tomatoes and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the lentils and the beans and stir to combine.
- 3. Add the broth and the spices to the beans and let them all simmer together covered over low heat for about 15 minutes. Season with kosher salt and serve hot!
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8