Banana-Sweet Potato Bread
January 6th, 2012
I made this bread twice in one day. I made it twice because the first time I accidentally made this bread pretty much fat free. And really low in sugar.
I talked about this disaster yesterday.
Maybe it was my inner mind telling my body not to add that oil and all the white sugar. Or maybe I just didn’t have enough coffee this morning. Either way, the first round was a low fat-low sugar loaf of bread! (If you want to get your skinny on, I will leave a note on those substitutions.)
The second batch was more what I had in mind. Naturally more tender (because of the fat) and naturally a bit sweeter (because of the extra sugar.) But- I might add, still lower in fat and sugar than my normal banana bread!!
I wanted to use sweet potato puree and banana, both naturally sweet and nutritious and bake them into a bread that is a bit healthier than the norm, while still being something that my kids will like.
It turned out sweet, a little spiced and very, very moist because of the fruit and veg. puree, plus it made the whole house smell great!
Banana Sweet Potato Bread, makes 1 loaf
-1 cup banana
-1 cup sweet potato puree
-1 ¼ cup sugar
-½ cup oil
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 ¾ cups flour
-1 ½ tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp baking soda
-½ tsp salt
-½ tsp ginger
-1/4 cup milk
* For very low fat bread- you can add just 1 cup sugar and no oil and it will still rise nicely with a very moist texture- it will just be a little, um, rubbery.
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with baking spray.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat together the banana and sweet potato until smooth and fluffy.
3) Add the sugar and oil and beat together until fluffy.
4) Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
5) In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
6) Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and combine into a batter. Add the milk and mix in.
7) Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
8) Bake the bread for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
9) Slice and Enjoy!