February 3rd, 2012
In case you were interested in sitting on the couch this weekend and gorging on fabulous brownies, I saved this recipe for you.
It was featured last summer in my Eatocracy spread, but I realized I never shared this recipe! Shame on me!
Chewy, dark chocolate, fluffy little marshmallows and crumbly, buttery graham cracker crumbs make these Smores Brownies divine.
Perfect for your Super Bowl Spread!
Smores Brownies, Makes 30 large brownies
-18 large graham crackers (2 packages)
-12 Tbs butter melted
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-8 oz chocolate (I prefer chocolate with 60-70% coco), finely chopped
-1 cup soft unsalted butter
-3 cups white sugar
-1 Tbs Vanilla
-4 Large eggs
-1 1/3 cups AP flour
-6 Tbs unsweetened dark cocoa powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 bag mini marshmallows
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until you have a fine crumb.
3) Add the ½ cup of sugar and the salt and empty the crumbs into a bowl.
4) Melt the butter in a pan and add to the bowl.
5) Stir the butter into the crackers to make a coarse damp crumb.
6) Take a 12×16″ sheet pan, (a cookie pan with sides) and put a silpat or sheet of parchment paper down on the bottom of the pan. (If using Parchment-I then spray the top of the parchment, and the sides of the pan with non-stick baking spray.)
7) Take the chopped chocolate and place it in a double boiler, or a glass bowl placed over a saucepan of water.
Heat the water to a simmer, and let the steam gently melt the chocolate. Frequently whisk the chocolate until it is smooth. Remove the chocolate from the heat and set aside to cool.
9) In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the butter, vanilla and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
10) Beat the eggs in one at a time, until they are completely mixed in.
11) Slowly beat in the cooled melted chocolate.
12) Sift the flour and cocoa powder and salt together.
13) Slowly add the dry ingredients to the batter, mixing in until it is just combined.
14) Pour the graham crackers crumbs onto the prepared sheet pan.
15) After evenly spreading it around with a spatula, hard pack the crumbs down with the bottom of a measuring cup.
16) Scoop the batter on top of the graham cracker crust in dollops all over the pan. (This makes it easier to spread without the batter taking the crust layer with it when you go to spread it out.)
17) Spread the batter out gently, spreading each dollop into the next, and taking care not to disturb the crust.
18) Bake the brownies for about 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Do not over bake!
19) Pull the Brownie pan out, and turn the oven to broil.
20) Dump a whole bag of mini marshmallows on to the top of the brownies, evenly spreading them out.
21) Broil the brownies for about 3 minutes or until the marshmallows are puffy and toasty but not burned! (be sure to turn on your fan when you take them out of the oven, they generate some smoke!)
22) When the brownies are finished, let them cool completely before cutting into them with a wet knife for the cleanest cut.