Pomegranate Mousse Filled Donuts
February 24th, 2013
OK Ladies and Gentlemen! This is a biiiiiiiiig week for me!
This Wednesday my show “RESCUE MY RENOVATION” finally premiers! 9PM on DIY. Please tune in and try to ignore my really bad hair. I will provide more details on Wednesday
In the mean time this is what we had going on this weekend. Donuts.
Big time, super fancy donuts. Oscar donuts.
Please forgive my lack of process shots, I was totally busy watching like 6 hours of very important Red Carpet Pre-Show.
But I do have to tell you- these took quite a bit of time today. But the result was exquisite. Seriously.
Fluffy donuts filled with light and creamy pomegranate mousse and glazed in a luscious pink pomegranate glaze. And then you have the bright little juicy pop of the raw pomegranate seeds. Totally and completely amazing.
Recipe: Pomegranate Mousse Filled Donuts
Summary: makes 18 donuts
- -1 recipe Donuts
- For the mousse:
- -1 cup pomegranate juice
- -3 eggs
- -1 cup white sugar
- -4 tablespoons room temperature butter cut into small pieces
- -1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- For the Glaze:
- -1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- -3-4 Tbs pomegranate juice
- -3 Tbs heavy cream
- -pinch of salt
- -1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- For the Mousse:
- 1. Heat the pomegranate juice in a small pan over medium heat until it has reduced to about 1/3 cup. Let it cool.
- 2. Whisk eggs, sugar, and pomegranate juice in a double boiler (over a large heat proof bowl) over simmering water until mixed well, then continue to stir until thick, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Drain through a mesh sieve to get rid of lumps. Stir in butter 1 piece at a timeuntil well incorporated. Cover curd and chill in the refrigerator until it has thickened, about 4 hours.
- For the Donuts:
- 4. You need one finished batch of THIS recipe.
- For the glaze:
- 5. When the curd has thickened and cooled, whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the custard.
- 6. Transfer the mousse either to a pastry bag with a tip or a squeezie bottle. (I used a pastry cream/frosting “gun” from pampered chef and it worked like dream!).
- To Assemble:
- 7. Insert the tip of the pastry bag or bottle into the doughnuts and fill each one with the pomegranate mousse.
- 8. Then dip the donut in the glaze and immediately sprinkle with the fresh pomegranate seeds. Let sit to set up and then enjoy!
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)